Some words about resilience

June 18, 2014

Earlier, I spoke about reinvention -- being able to weather your storms and come out better off. Recently, I saw living proof of this in nature as well. Outside of my home, there've been two rose bushes planted by the previous owner over 10 years ago. One bright red, the other a striped variety (I'm not sure of it's name). They've both always been healthy and vibrant until about a year and a half ago, when the striped one gradually began dying off stem by stem; I couldn't tell why.  Both have gotten the same treatment.  While the other stayed robust, I was sure the striped one was finished --even the last bit of stump dried up and withered.
   Suddenly, early in June, emerging in the same spot I'd last seen it, I discovered a new stem breaking through the soil with a single bud ready to bloom. With some assistance from small sticks to keep it upright and some extra nurturing, it's back -- don't know how or why, but trying to reach it's partner's height once again -- Talk about resilience...it really is everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment