More from the window seat...

 Remember how I said on those occasions I don't wind up at the window during flights I feel like I'm missing something?  Very true -- mostly due in part to what I do, I'm sure.  Working in visual media tends to have the eyes always peeled for new visions everywhere.
 And so I've found looking out the window isn't only a way to pass time when you fly, it's also a source of some amazing sights.  When the light, reflection, and shadows line up just the right way, the upper atmosphere can be one incredible palette....


image host image host image host image host

   Timing is everything if your goal is to catch something memorable, and here's proof:


image host image host

Left:   All I was expecting was a nice shot of how the low-angled sun was playing off the clouds...then another airliner enters the scene, right where it should. (Moving from right to left, upper half of photo)
Right:   This was shortly after takeoff from Atlanta, heading east. "Waves" in the sky - Never had seen anything like it before; they're called Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds, and they're pretty rare. Surf's up!


image host "AUDIENCE"
 These distant cloudtops form what reminded me of a performance or seminar in progress -- do you see it?  Stage to the left, with a crowd to the right.

   Don't get me wrong -- it's not always so scenic.  You know those flights where there's nothing but a gray haze out the window?  Sure, if you're not looking to sleep, you can always pull out your tablet or laptop for entertainment.  But if all else fails, put your thinking cap on and amuse yourself with good old pen & paper. Rather than doodling, you may write the next bestseller.  Or if you're any good with word play, do what I did on a flight a while back -- (these are real, scribbled during the same flight)
image host image host

  There's even occasions when it's nearly a requirement to focus on what's below rather than above.  And I think these qualify ---
image host image host image host 
 Top Left: Washington,DC & Potomac River; the entire National Mall runs left to right.
 (March 2014)
Top Right:  Chicago and a partially frozen Lake Michigan (Feb.2013)
Bottom:  New York City, almost the entirety of Manhattan - from part of Central Park at the left to Lower Manhattan at the right. (June 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment